Sunday 2 October 2016

Ass2 - Project 7 - Meanings In Imagery


Exercise Visual Metaphors

This exercise is to help me understand the use of metaphors in a visual aspect

I have look for some on the Internet and these are some I found:

Google meaning : A visual metaphor is the representation of a person, place, thing, or idea by way of a visual image that suggests a particular association or point of similarity. Modern advertising relies heavily on visual metaphors.

Couch Potato:

Image result for visual metaphor

This is a classic saying and putting a potato on the sofa makes people suddenly understand the metaphor.

Main ingredient:
Image result for visual metaphor

I think this is a clever advertisement of tomato ketchup stating what is inside the bottle. I really like this intelligent idea.

Storm in a tea cup:

Image result for storm in a tea cup

This has some good detail and you can understand what it is about.


You are what you eat:
Illustrations by John Holcroft | Inspiration Grid | Design Inspiration:

You are what you eat, so the artist has turned his belly in to a burger. Its really fun to look at

Insomnia:
Insomnia - Tony Huynh, via --.Bellos ojos, mas bellos si ven bien.Controla tu…:

     This one has to be my favourite one I found. It shows the word insomnia really well.This the man looking tired and all the sheep that he has tried to count around him and he still cant sleep. 

(all above from https://uk.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=metaphor%20illustration&rs=typed&term_meta[]=metaphor%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=illustration%7Ctyped)


Ideas and Task

    Now that I have had a look at a few and understood what a visual metaphor is, I now have to create one.

    From the subjects given, I have chosen to use Dreams Of romance. I am going to do a spider diagram and think of some ideas:



Here above I have doodles what comes to my mind when I think of dreamy romance and wrote down words that will help me also.

Below are some sketches I made:


    Above - Woman in bed dreaming with her dream getting captured in her dream catcher. I though this idea would help show the idea of dreaming, but I feel it lacked the romance side of it.

I then had a break through with my next Idea:


     Its a princess kissing a frog. I thought every girl dreams of meeting her prince charming and this is a great illustration idea to show dreams of romance. I then sketched it a few more times to get the illustration I was after (below).



This below is my final Line drawing of my illustration.


I think it works really well for my idea. I am not going to put it in to Photoshop and add some colour:

Scanned in image:


My final image:


   I think my outcome of my illustration came out great. I kept the colours simple as I wanted my main focus on the meaning behind it.

     Overall I think I did well and I produced an image that people will look at and think of a dreamy romance. I took my drawing to work and asked a few of my colleagues there and it went down really well and got the right response that I had hoped.


My 3D Illustrations

For my final in Painting 1 course - I created a series of paintings here is a photo below:





    I really liked the aspect I created with 3D art and promised my self that I would attempt this with my illustrations at some point. I though it would be a great idea to make my illustrations come to life. so today I gave it a go...

I decided to do a bird and I used feathers to add texture for the wings and tail:







    I was so happy with the out come and I absolutely love this style I have created. I feel like I have made a break through in my illustrations.

I tried to scan it in to my PC to see what it would look like:


     I felt it did look good but it lost a lot of its depth. I decided may be it would be better to use photos or scan in each part (which sounds long winded) to capture the style with the depth.



I tried also to see what it would look like in black and white . I still do like the style and I am excited to create some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment