Sunday 2 October 2016

ASS2 - Project 4 - Creative Thinking and problem solving

Exercise - Objective Drawing

     I decided for this task to draw my favorite umbrella. I t is Mary Poppins replica umbrella which my Nan got me when we went to see Mary Poppins at the theater early this year.

I firstly got my umbrella in fornt of me and did a spider diagram to describe it:


I then put my umberlla in various  angles and quiklety stetched it out:


    I decided I like to draw it when the umbrella was closed as it whats the aspects that I like about my umbrella.

   I am now going to begin my main illustration an look carefully at my umbrella to capture what I observe. I have decided to illustrate in on nice brown card as I think it will enhance my lines of the umbrella.



    As you can see above, this is my Illustration of my umbrella I have sketched. I am really happy with it. I used fine liner for the out lines and a white pastel pencil to create highlights where light was reflecting from the window in my art room. I think I have drawn it very accurately. Maybe it does need to be a bit taller. I feel it may look a bit squashed on my card  length ways, but I tried my best to get the overall proportions right. 

I think this is a good objective drawing of my umbrella. 

Newhampton Art Gallery event

     Today I went to an event where people had gone around Wolverhampton and painted, illustrated and in any way they could capture areas of there home town.

They then had there art work put up in the Newhampton Art Gallery and people could vote for there favorite artwork. The winner would receive £100.00

Here are some of  the ones I liked the best and why:


Above - I liked the style the artist has used. He has used water color washes and then used a fine liner to draw his illustration of an area near his home,


Above - Again I am really enjoying looking at peoples art who has used lines and observed a certain building they admire.


Above - This painting is very different, they have used water colours in a controlled way to create textures of the items in his landscape he was looking at. The colours remind me of autumn and the contrast against the rocks and pathway work well.




Above -  This was my favorite art work from the event. it was painted on a board that was a bit battered but once he painted his art it added character to his work. his lines are really straight and I really like his illustration of a man and the bouncy toy. There are simple colours used nd overall he has created a unique piece of work.

     I voted for his work and a few hours later I had a call to say my name had been picked out of the voters and I won two theater tickets. I never win anything so it was a nice surprise and was a good day. 


Volunteering for NAF arts and National trust 

    This month I have volunteered for to places where it will help me with my creative ideas. The NAF is a group that hold art events for people in Norfield in Birmingham. I was helping to get younger children in to art and crafts. I am waiting to her off them to start doing it monthly and see what happens. it was a good experience and some good inspiration for then young ones. 

   I also went volunteering for the National Trust and was a good day of cleaning up a park. It was not very creative but the lady called Dee who ran it said that they  will be event days such as making baskets from twigs etc that I could get involved in and she is going to keep me posted. 

Arches project

   The Arches Project is run by a lady called Evett. She looks at artists who are trying to enter the art word and helps to promote them and push them in the right direction. I went to see her and she is a good contact to keep for when \I feel ready to put my work out there.I told her about my children's art etc. and she was interested and said I could put some of my work in her gallery space once I have some pieces to show her. 


Exercise A Subjective Drawings

A Subjective drawing is looking at an object and creating an idea based around it. I have decided on a brush and decided to show each texture of my object.

I first did a mood board below:


    I looked at parts of my brush and found items I could use to form my brush.

    For the bristles of my brush I found Items such as hay, wool, washing up sponge, images of hair and grass and some thick string.

    For the metal area of the brush, I found things that were shiny such as foil, shiny paper and sequins.

      For thew handle of my brush I decided on plastic items such as carrier bag, cling film and plastic packaging.

I then arranged them and glued then on a sheet of paper:



     For the background it is stripped in to three parts to show the texture through out the object: bristly, shiny and plastic.

Overall the out come was interesting. It gave me a good understanding of how I observe Items and I can see that what I had created is like a mind spider diagram to how I store the memory of the brush in my head.

Day out at Custard Factory

     Yesterday I went for a afternoon/evening night out with my partner, Carmen and our friend Tom. I decided to take a few photos that were inspiring and Good things to keep noted:


Above - An interesting oil can left in the road, I felt it was very interesting to look at and is a piece of art on its own.


Above - A galaxy graffiti, I luked the use of colours and stars.


Above - A geometric Tiger. I was quite impressed with the artists skills here.

Below - A few more graffiti parts that I found worth a photo: 




      We recently found out that graffiti artist have there own logos, or if there in a group they have a crew logo. They create stickers of there logos and put them on lamp-posts in areas they have been and graffiti. We met a guy called Moes and he is a well know graffiti artist in the area. Instead of stickers he had his iconic illustration of mushrooms turned in to magnets and he would stick these on to lamp-posts so if people find them that can take them home with them and put them on there fridge. 

     On the evening we were walking back to the car and we spotted all up the road his mushrooms on the lamp-posts as we passes, so we collected them hears a picture below:

Above - Me, Tom and Carmen

       What I love about this is that general people would not blink at looking at dirty stickers on a lamp-post. They would not even recognise that these lovely, cool magnets were right in front of there noses and I really like that Idea. Its quite special. Is like finding a little arty treasure. 

Drawing of a pet dog

A friend of mine asked me today to draw his dog so here is my attempt below:



     It was one of my friends favourite photos of his dog. He was really happy with my little drawing and I was happy he liked it. 

A few sketches - Drink and Draw Event



      I have now been about three times to the Drink and Draw event and thought I should write a little about it to show how busy I have been with so many wonderful Creative events this summer:


    Drink and Draw is set up by a group of people who create an fantastic free event were people come together for an evening of drawing and drinking. There's music and food and its great to meet local artist and people who have a creative hobby. Here below is a photo of one I went to recently (im in the middle with my orange jumper on and my blonde hair):


   They organise it once a month and each time there is a theme for the whole night. When you arrive you are provided with paper and stationary, though I did take my own last time as they ran out of pencils... ouphs!

Here below is some images I did for one of the nights. The theme was 'How did your super hero become super?'





     Its a really good night. Its great to see other people excited about drawing. Once finished with your drawings, at the end of the night you can keep them or hand them in. They get posted on their Facebook page, for every one else to see and look at others drawing that you missed looking at on the night.


Other Art work recently


Above - I decided after drawing larry my ostrich the other week, I really enjoyed creating curls on the lines of the body. I was just drawing for fun and ended up drawing a pig. I think he looks great and my drawing style is getting better looking back a few years ago. I really feel this degree is helping as well as networking with other artist and getting inspired at art events. 

Above - A little sketch of one of my rabbits, Bandit :)

Illustrations from Eden project in Cornwall holiday on 1st Sept 2016

       I have just returned from a week in Cornwall with my partner Antonio which was a lovely beak. I feel I have been doing a lot lately so it was nice to get some countryside air and do a bit of relaxing.

One of the days, we went to the Eden Project which was amazing for flowers!

I took so may photos and I even took my sketch book as sketch some out that I liked : 


I even captured a few Bumble bees on the flowers which was lovely.




    Afterwards I decided on drawing a bumble bee as I was inspired by them. They are lovely insects and harmless. They are so busy doing there jobs in nature and I just wanted to draw one:


      I used yellow felt and glued it on my illustration to show the nectar my little bee had collected and I used tissue paper to do a few flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment