Monday 6 March 2017

ASS3 - Project 4 - Abstract Illustration

Abstract Illustration

   For this task, I have to listen music from certain artists and create marks which convey my intake and interpretation of the essence or mood of the piece.

I have got paper at the ready and rounded up a few items and tools to get stuck in and feel the music.

This should be fun!

George Gershwin - Rhapsody

The Gypsy Kings - Volare


  Beethoven - Fur Elise

Miles Davis - So What

George Gershwin - Summer Time

The Gypsy Kings - Balia Me

    As you can see from above I created a few different images whilst listening to different types of music.

    I really like the first one I did George Gershwin - Rhapsody, as it's colourful and I like the way I created abstract musical notes within the artwork. The music was very moving and this is how I expressed the rhythm.

     The other one I like was  Miles Davies - So What,  this is because I enjoyed adding the extra bits of paper to add texture. It was very jazzy music and the colours I feel went well with the sound I heard and felt.

   I didn't like my idea for the The Gypsy Kings - Volare, I feel it did not have much going for it and I was not too keen on the music I heard. 

     I have decided to go with George Gershwin - Rhapsody and Miles Davies - So What. I'm now going to get my L frame and zoom in on the areas I find interesting and then decide which one I want to blow up and create for the cover album.

 I looked at each and chose an area where I feel would look like a great abstract piece of art for a CD cover.
Miles Davies - So What

George Gershwin - Rhapsody

   After looking at the two areas I have decided that George Gershwin - Rhapsody abstract with the music note is more appealing to the eye than the other.

     I like the colours and that is has an abstract music note. the lines and movement shows rhythm of the song I was listening to and the whole composition works well.

I am now going to create my image again on a bigger scale. here are a few examples of the area blown up I have done:


  They are quickly drawn just so that I can get an idea of what I want to do and get the best out on my abstract idea. After looking at these I have decided to create it using layers of paper and some string to do the thinner lines of colour. By adding paper and string it will help to show the flow of rhythm. I have found the colours I feel suit my abstract work and I am going to begin to create my Cover.


Finished Image






    Here above is my finished idea I had a lot a fun with experimenting with the paper and string and think I have succeeded in creating my abstract cover image well. I think the colours work together well and I love the black abstract musical note in the centre which is a great focal point. I feel it really describes the music really well. I also used a black pen and colour pencils to add a few marks to make it more interesting. I think by doing this it has helped it stand out more. 

I decided to put it in photo shop and have a go at creating the CD cover:

    I like what I have done here and it looks professional. My abstract image sends a message of rhythm and movement with in the music. I chose the font as it also shows that whispy curved lines, which dance with music to fit well together.


Sketch Book Extras

    My tutor informed me to sketch more to improve my lines and become more confident. I decided to just get my pencil and pens and have a moment to doodle:



Some of the above doodle I took from life and others I used from my imagination. I t was great to just be sketch what ever I see and what comes in to my head. I think it showcases a good page of doodles.

I have been reading a book called the Artist's way as sometimes I feel that i did know my style but then i look at other illustrators and i also discover new techniques and i feel overwhelmed as i feel like i got too may ways to turn. So I got this book to help me learn more about myself. I discovered about having an Art well to put ideas in to keep and use when I need. I also am discovering that I need to follow my heart and not to look at too many illustrators as I get too overwhelmed and then think am I good enough? So I am going to try for a while and concentrate on my own work and ideas. 

Whilst I was volunteering at the Art gallery on friday I started creating this monster. I used posca pens and felting to get a fur effect.  It was just a cheeky experiment to see how I could use felting material in my illustrations.


   Below I created quick shapes with posca pens and then used a biro to make little illustrations out of them. I made some really cute and funny ones some were unsuccessful. I really liked this experiment. 


Coloured Pencils and how to use them




   Above are some coloured pencil illustrations I did. I loved doing the Iguana. I used promarkers as a base and then coloured pencils on top which worked well. It looks very realistic with the scaly texture. I also like the texture I created for the wool on the sheep using pencil and coloured pencils.        For the puffin it was just done by coloured pencil and I concentrated from a photo to make sure I drawed him as correctly as I could. I enjoy using coloured pencils and they always keep popping up in my art work from time to time. I just need to experiment with them more to get better at using them as I like to think I create good illustrations with them. 


    When I turned the page over in my sketch book the promarker pens had soaked through, so I created this illustration above of an imaginary dragon. I also had a go at realistic sketching various items I had around me. 

Learning Perspective

   My tutor could see my weakness in perspective and referred me to a book to help me. I have not put it down for thew last three days and I have learnt so much.

  I realised where I was going wrong and I didn't understand that the horizon line is always at my eye level and that is stays straight when I am indoors. I have practiced perspective in my sketch book as you can see below and found a few photos to show that I can now understand how to look at perspective views, rooms and objects at various angles and heights. I feel like I have learned a lot and now have a  much better understanding. I also can come back to my note making in my sketchbook if I ever need to to refresh my memory along the way.





No comments:

Post a Comment