Tuesday 25 July 2017

ASS4 - Project Visual Distortion

Visual Distortion

      For this exercise, it is going to help me open up my mind and push my boundaries to discover other ideas. The first part of this exercise I have to sketch out an animal they said a dog or a cat but I am going to choose my pet rabbits I am going to brainstorm all words that I can think of when I think of my rabbits:




     Here above is my brainstorming and A Few Quick sketches of the rabbits the next thing I have to do is draw a final image of a rabbit and then use five lines, Max, to create the structure of the sketch of the rabbit:





    The above is my sketch of my rabbit and a few attempts of using 5 lines to create the overall structure of my sketch

     Using one of these structured outline images I now have to create a collage to form my image of a rabbit I will use various objects in my college to push the boundaries and really distraught my image yet try to keep a rabbit structure visible.



   Here is my college I found it really fun to do. I like some of the aspects eg: where I used a penguin bending over as an ear for the rabbit. I also liked the upside-down apple crumble which created the rabbit's front face area where his mouth and chin are and that I used shoes for his paws of his back feet. It is really fun to look at for a viewer and to spot the different objects in there.

   I am now going to look at this college and Draw the outlines that I can see to create a new image of a rabbit.



   Above is my image I discovered when drawing from my college. I ended up seeing a girl rabbit because of the lips and eyes in the collage I created. She looks a mix between a rabbit and Marilyn Monroe. It was really interesting from looking at an object breaking it down seeing the lines and creating something completely different from it I also created this collage below using natural objects in the Mosaic



    Overall I really enjoyed experimenting in this exercise and discovering that by doing things in different ways you can create different images that you wouldn't think of doing. A bend in reality and adding a narrative such as a superstar like Marilyn Monroe helps to create and a  new illustration compared to the first attempt of a normal rabbit.

Octopus Illustration for The AOC
   
     For the AOC where I am volunteering, they asked me to come up with an illustration of a mother with a lot of children. This is to raise awareness that single mums are not alone.

For this brief I decided to do an octopus with babies and showing different baby moods the mother has to deal with:


I then created it out of paper to make my 3d illustration:






        I decided to use gold leaf for the octopus arm suckers and used crinkled up papers to get a good effect/texture of the sea. I really loved my idea it is really fun and brings a smile to your face. The owner really liked it and the original is now up on the wall in the main head-office:



As you can see my other art work is there too. It's turning into a Gemma Lees mini art gallery :)

Cornwall Holiday

 Last week I was away in Cornwall and took in the beautiful sights and the artwork around me.It's a great place to go and see artwork especially St Ives there is creativity all around you. From the landscapes to the people and the galleries and obviously the Tate Museum. Whilst on holiday I discovered in some galleries some artists that use paper to create their illustrations or art. Here are some photos below of what I discovered and how it will help me to improve and create more ideas about using paper.

Graham Lester





   Here above I saw these in an art gallery. I was a bit shocked about how much they were charging but the paper cuts that were made were very sharp very straight lines and were framed really well I have looked at this person online his website is https://grahamlesterstudio.wordpress.com/ He has done a lot of work and has done a few exhibitions. I will try and get in touch with him for tips on to get such clean and perfect cuts. 

Kookie Gifts.
https://www.facebook.com/KookieGiftsUK/







These above are from the next artist I came across who was based in Charlestown in St Austell. I like the ideas of how she used her paper cuts and some of them she even glued to the glass of the box frames, to make things stick out even further. A good example is the writing in front of the Rainbow, third picture down from the top.The Mermaid in the sea is really pretty and here again, she has glued the mermaid on to the glass of the frame. I really like her work and the prices she charged were far less than Graham Lester and she again was very crisp with her cutting out.



     I'm not too sure who the artist was for this piece of art but I liked it because it is a different way of creating the 3D effect but using natural objects such as shells. It is something else to keep in mind when doing paper 3D illustrations, what natural objects I can include to create my illustrations.


3D Pets Idea

     Whilst watching TV the other week I was watching a programme about Posh Pets and there was an artist on there called Robert Clarke who created portraits of people's dogs mainly and sold them to people who adore their pets. Check out his website:

http://www.robertjamesclarkeart.com/commission#&gid=1&pid=1

    Hey uses oil paints to create images of the dogs face and top of his body and then the backgrounds are usually plain grey when he was sending these to his clients this one in particular which was on the TV sold for £3,000

    As I was watching this I was thinking about my 3D illustration as I have now got a part-time job and I still need to make some extra money and get my name about more so I thought why not create pets out of 3D paper I could go quite far with it the more I thought about it. I could add their favourite toy and put their name on to personalise it more. So I spent yesterday, Thursday creating some pets out of paper to see how they came out and if my idea was a good thing here are some images below














     I was really happy with my outcomes. I really like my sausage dog illustration and obviously, I had to ask to do a rabbit as I own two and a cat. I just tried to do the top three types of pets that people have. I posted on Facebook that I was now available to do these 3D pets and just put the feelers out there to see people's reactions. In the first day, I ended up with six orders, which I was so chuffed about. As I've been a marketer volunteer for the AOC company I have gained experience in how to market more myself better which is coming on and I'm getting more confident. I am now waiting and watching this space to see what happens, I just love creating using my 3D paper style and I love animals so it works really well for me doing something that I love. I will keep you posted on how this is going.

Chester zoo Indonesia song birds

       I went to Chester Zoo a few weeks back and saw an advertisement to enter a competition to help raise awareness and money for the Indonesian songbirds. The songbirds are losing their homes due to being poached, where people are taking them from their homes and selling them in bird cages in markets in Indonesia. The brief was to take one of the endangered song birds and using your own style create them and submit them to have a chance to have your artwork exhibited in Chester art gallery.

I decided to give this a go as again it was to do with animals, so here is my attempt below





    My illustration is of the Green Javan Magpie they are one of the most rarest now in Indonesia and I loved the bright colours of this beautiful bird.


     This above is my final image of it in the frame. I think I did a great job portraying the bird and I used feathers to finish it off to add the tail. I sent it off by email with an attached image of my art. Two weeks later I got a call to say I had been successful with my art and that they wanted to exhibit it in the new Chester art gallery, which was opening the 8th of July. I was really chuffed about this and also discovered that one of my friends had also applied and their work also made it to the art gallery.

My friend went there the other day and sent me this photo of our work circles red in the window of the gallery. It will be there for 6 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment