Tuesday 5 July 2016

ASS1 - Project 1 - The Key Is Communication

Exercise: Getting the gist

    For this exercise I have to look at an article read it, highlight the main words in the article and look over it again. Then take the words I have chosen as my brief, to create an illustration.

      I decided on an article which is to introduce a new Zoo into the area:


   Whilst reading it, it informed me that the animals weren't in cages. It told me about the types of animals that were there and some mishaps about a wallaby in a broken down car and a hornbill that flew away and was flying around the area.

     I decided that an illustration would be quite fun too do towards this brief. I decided that I wanted to make the illustration with the animals and humans in an open area together as there were no cages. 

     Also decided to include as many animals as I could off the list in the article and to add some humour to my illustration such as the Wallaby fixing a broken down car and holding the traffic up that are trying to get into the zoo. I want to put the hornbill flying away and also showing animals just enjoying themselves and relaxing.

    I did a few sketches in my sketchbook as you can see below:



     I decided to create some funny sketches such as a kangaroo playing football, a crocodile drinking a soda, Wallabies flying a kite. This helps giving personalities to the creatures.

      I am now going to do a rough sketch of my illustration and see how it turns out:


      As you can see above, I have done it really quickly and just got in the basics of the figures and animals in my illustration. I am now going to use promarkers and fineliners to create my final illustration I am going to make it quite colourful to capture the humour in the illustration. I just want to have a go at colouring it in by hand rather than the computer.

    Here is my final illustration:


      I think it turned out really well. I feel that I included all the main key points in my illustration from the brief that I chose. I also scaned this image in and sent it to the zoo just to show them and offer my support. They really liked it and said if they ever needed any hand drawn illustrations they will be in touch which I thought was nice.

     I really enjoyed this exercise, I liked that I had a brief to work with and it was exciting to see what I could come up with and create, based on the brief that I had given myself. This really helps in helping you to use your imagination and understand the brief to create an illustration that is appealing and truthful to the text.

 In some spare time

I decided I wanted to have a go at making a poster, I decided I could look at jokes and use them as a brief toward an illustration.



     As you can see I drawed my illustration, scanned it in to the computer and used text and edited the image to create my simple poster. I think it is really funny and I enjoyed giving myself this task. I may try to do some more illustrations for some jokes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment